Return to Oldham Council homepage

1. Start Search > 2. Search Results >3. Details
CHURCH OF ST CHAD
Listed Building
DetailsView more images
Location:CHURCH OF ST CHAD, UPPERMILL, SADDLEWORTH, OLDHAM
Grade: Grade II* registered
Date listed:09 / 05 / 2003
Description: Church. Rebuilt 1831-33, tower rebuilt 1846-7 but incorporating 1746 fabric. Ashlar with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower. 5-bay nave has projecting plinth, eaves band and parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress and 3-light mullion and transom pointed arch window with interlaced tracery (apart from eastern-most bay which is 2-light above a priest's door). 5-light east window with mullions and transom and interlaced tracery which is flanked by weathered buttresses and octagonal corner columns. The gable has a raked parapet. 4-stage west tower flanked by gallery stair bays. The tower has angled buttresses (changing to clasping at the top stage) a 2-light first stage window, 2 lancets to the second stage, clock faces to the third, two 2-light openings to the belfry and decorative corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: Octagonal cast-iron columns support the gallery as well as the nave arcade arches which are cusped. The concave ceiling has decorative painted bosses. Stencilled paintwork to gallery parapet. Various C19 wall plaques and an ornamental stone wall memorial dated 1715 to John Whitehead. Reredos, Commandment boards, choir stalls, lectern, pulpit and font cover of various dates but all made by G Shaw of Uppermill, as are most of the stained glass windows, the exceptions being three the north side (NA1-3) the last by Capronnier (1871). 12-light brass candelabrum of 1717. This church of the early Gothic revival has a fine C19 interior complete with galleries and elaborate fittings and glass. A. J. Howcroft, History of the Chapelry and Church of Saddleworth, 1915.
Year Built: Not known
Broad Function: (English Heritage classification)RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY
Detailed Type(s): (English Heritage classification)
  • CHURCH, 1746
  • CHURCH, 1831 - 1833
  • CHURCH, 1846 - 1847
  • PLAQUE
  • WALL MONUMENT, 1715 - 1715

Start a new searchTop of Page